Thursday, November 23, 2006

Eleuthera Calls

Even now as I embark on this particular blog, I cannot think of Eleuthera without smiling. I'm sure many Americans have their favorite Caribbean island that elicit warm memories, whether it was because of the food or activities or the people they met there. For us, it is all three and so much more.

Leia and I had only taken one real vacation together as a married couple, a Caribbean cruise in 2003. I had never cruised before and I really enjoyed myself (especially the eating - I'm a chow hound, there's no two ways about it). Going to the Bahamas on our own was a little daunting, mainly because we weren't going to be staying at a resort and would pretty much have to fend for ourselves in an environment that was rather economically depressed.

I'm happy to say that the trip completely exceeded my expectations. I hope this blog reflects our feelings about the island and Bahamians in general. This is not only a travelogue, but also a commentary on the politics and society that we found and that from which we were familiar, too.

Comments are always welcome - please feel free!

Michael

No comments: