Sunday, February 18, 2007

July 8, 2004 - Sea Grove

Weekend Plans

Yesterday, I asked Kendra (the waitress from The Rainbow Inn) what the big plans were for the were for the Bahamas Independence Day celebration. She told us al the happenings were going to be at Savannah Point, where the composer of the Bahamian National Anthem was from.

The festivities started with church and went until day until Sunday. Lots of dancing, music, pageants for kids, eating celebrating. She encouraged us to check it out.

Also on Sunday, I’d love to go to see the local church to check out the services. There's a Methodist church near where we're staying and a Baptist one, too. I'm hoping to hear a good gospel choir as I had in Tennessee one time when I was there on business many years before.

Property Exploring

While Lee slept, I went outside to take the first phones of the trip. I was hoping that Quentin would show up for his shot and eventually heard me on porch, when made him come a-callin'. I got a few good pictures of him.


Lee woke up and we got read to walk to the Coconut Groves (residential area) she came upon yesterday. It was a bit of a trek south on Banks Road. The weather was, of course, hot and humid, but worth it when we came upon "Sea Grove," as Lee has dubbed it.

There, big as life, was the HG Christie's sign. We walked past there and Lee pointed out the large house and the neighboring guest house labeled Darby's. Leia advised me not to take pictures, but being an American in my heart, I did it anyway (out of respect for the owners, I will not post them online).

We walked further down the road to the while chalk piles which began an unfinished road which we followed to the ocean opening. The Atlantic view was breathtaking and the cool ocean breeze was a relief on my sweaty face. I snapped a few photos, then followed Leia down to the sand. I stripped down to my bathing suit to join her as she was already frolicking in the water.

Undertow!

What a difference this time - no coral! The beach seemed to be empty (as usual), save for a couple people we saw way south of us who were walking their dog. Just off the shore were two small islands. I estimated it would be a thirty minute swim to the larges of the two, but decided I would make the trek another time (when I was in better shape!). Besides, I sure didn't want to encounter sharks in water that far away.

I swam a bit to the darker area where I figured was a coral formation and felt a pretty strong rip current. I tested its strength doing a backstroke against the pull and was just about staying in place. Finally, I was tired, so I swam parallel, than diagonal, to the shore to break free of the undertow. Being stubborn, I tested it again and of course, it had the same effect!

Meanwhile, Leia was totally in love with this particular site and for good reason! We just relished our time in the water, letting the sand wash up into our suits as we sat at the shore break. Eventually, we had to get into deeper waters to empty out the extra sand :-).

When we saw the couple with the dog heading our way, we decided to walk north on the beach back to our bungalow.

It was quite a workout walking in the wet sand - the calf muscles will feel lit tonight! Maybe I worked off some of that conch and Kalik! When we got back to the bungalow, I was hot and sweaty again, as was my wife. We took our showers and got read to go to Rock Sound - again - to go to the grocery store.

Terry Sands

On the way there Leia wanted see if she could find where Sandee (the realtor) had been to perhaps meet up with her later. We stopped off at the same general store we went to when we arrived to get directions. I waited in the car while Leia ran in. About five minutes later, she came out to get her purse. A little girl in there wanted a can of coke, but she didn't have the money. My sweet wife decided she would buy the soda for her.

A couple of minutes later, Leia came back out and I started the car thinking she was read to go. Instead, she wanted me to go back in with her to meet Terry Sands, proprietor of the store and also a realtor.

Terry is an older Caucasian Bahamian who had the longest fingernails I've seen on a man in a long time! Leia had him repeat what he said about "Sea Grove" - apparently, it's a third rate beach. He said he had land which is a much better piece in Palmetto Point not far from our Bungalow. He gave us directions if we wanted to find it ourselves. Terry offered to take us there if we wanted him to.

We thanked him for his offer and I brought out money to pay for two bottles of water. He waved it away and told us it was on the house. We thanked him again profusely and left. What a nice man!

Next time: Rock Sound, part 2

No comments: